Allergy relief with Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine
Benefits of acupuncture on allergies
Acupuncture has been shown to influence cell activities in the body in various ways, particularly when it comes to the breakdown, transport, and clearance of bioactive mediators. This has led to anti-inflammatory effects which help to reduce inflammatory diseases like allergic rhinitis.
Acupuncture and allergies
Acupuncture is used widely as a remedy for perennial allergies. According to the Annals of Internal Medicine journal, researchers conducted a study on 422 patients who had pollen allergies and they had a running nose as a nasal symptom. The patients were divided into three groups. In one group, 12 acupuncture treatments were used and depending on the need, antihistamines was also used. In the second group, 12 sham acupuncture treatments were used together with antihistamines, and on the last group, antihistamines were the only medications used.
After a two-month period, the researchers collected the results of the study. Patients in the first group showed greater improvement in their allergic symptoms as they used fewer antihistamines, as compared to the other two groups. In the second group that had sham acupuncture therapy, patients also recorded some improvements, which was an indicator that there was a possibility that acupuncture was a strong placebo treatment for part of the treatment.
Chinese medicine and acupuncture are a great combination for the treatment of several allergic symptoms such as:
- Chronic sinus infection
- Nasal congestion
- Sinus and facial pain
- Severe sinusitis
- Cough and fatigue
Allergy can be categorized into two types, seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis. Since the treatment of these allergic symptoms cannot be done overnight, a holistic approach is used; looking at stress, exercise or lack of, body type, health history and diet. This alongside regular acupuncture and Chinse herbs provides the best chance for a patient to become better. The goal of acupuncture needles is not to treat the diseases, but to improve your health, so the body heals itself. You live a healthier life. To achieve this, here are some tips to improve allergies:
- Avoid smoking and drinking. Inflammation and SUGAR!
- Improve diet, be realistic, small changes make a big difference, MORE VEGGIES, spinach & kale especially. Get rid of SUGAR! Unless it’s from the fruits and veggies you eat.
- Meditate and manage your stress levels. Meditate upon first arising in the am. As soon as you wake up. Don’t look at phones or computers before you meditate. Get up earlier if you must. It’s worth IT! Be thankful for everything you have. Show more gratitude.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise helps with stress. Exercising regularly increases your body’s own natural production of Antioxidants! Anti-Aging! Exercising produces endorphins that make you feel good. It turns your bad feelings to good feelings. Just Do It! Daily. Every little bit counts. Everything Matters!
- Help others. Find a way to give back. Any way. Research has shown that helping others enlivens the same pleasure centers in our brains as drugs and sex. So be selfish and help others, you will feel great.